Mushroom Cultivation References
Home Cultivation Supplies: kits, spawn, books etc.
- Fungi Perfecti
Paul Stamets, leader in the home cultivation field — supplies, books, kits, everything a mushroom cultivator needs.
- Field and Forest Products
Home cultivation supplies, kits, spawn, books. Located in Peshtigo, Wisconsin
- Mushroom Mountain
Bulk spawn, plug spawn, extracts, kits, mycogardening supplies, workshops.
“Mushroom Mountain was designed as an interactive farm, teaching the benefits of using fungi and how to protect our environment with mushrooms? We specialize in lectures, field trips, and cultivation workshops”
Online catalog of mushroom spawn, books, and mushroom-growing supplies. Located on “The Farm,” a surviving commune from the 60’s.
- Mushroom Adventures
Grow at home kits and supplies. Button and Portobello kits available.
- Unicorn Bags
Autoclavable plastic bags for spawn. Supplies. Growing conditions for a large number of mushroom species can be found here.
- Spore Trading Post
Cultivation Supplies, magic mushroom emphasis
Fun Guy Farm. Kits, spawn, log inoculation video
- Everything Mushroom
Books, ready to grow mushroom kits, dried wild gourmet mushrooms, outdoor garden patches, mushroom logs, mushroom cultures and spawn, gifts, art
Mushroom cultivation supplies. Liquid culture syringes available.
British—Cultures, supplies, cultivation info.
- Lost Creek Shiitake Mushroom Farm
Since 1992 sending mushroom log kits to shiitake lovers and gardeners. Shiitake log kits.
Extensive inventory of quality, professional level cultivation supplies: pressure cookers, lab equipment and supplies, glove boxes, transportable grow room, and much more.
- Wylie Mycologicals
Wylie Mycologicals is a specialty mushroom facility which includes a mycological laboratory, spawn rooms and growing chambers. Ontario, Toronto.
Commercial Mushroom Cultivation Sites
- Phillip’s Farms
A major commercial supplier of specialty mushrooms. Pennsylvania.
- Monterey Mushrooms, Inc
A major commercial supplier of specialty mushrooms. California
- American Mushroom Institute
National voluntary trade association representing the growers, processors, and marketers of cultivated mushrooms in the United States and industry suppliers worldwide.
Publishes the Mushroom Growers Newsletter.
- Gourmet Mushrooms, Inc.
A major producer of specialty mushrooms. Sebastopol, CA
- International Society for Mushroom Science
ISMS seeks to further the cultivation of edible (including medicinal) macrofungi. It is non-political and non-profit making. The objectives of ISMS are the dissemination of information on new developments and the science of mushrooms and to stimulate exchange of new ideas between growers and scientists around the world.”
- Canadian Mushroom Growers Association
A voluntary, non-profit organization whose members are dedicated to the production and marketing of fresh mushrooms in Canada.
- Forest Mushrooms
Forest Mushrooms, St. Joseph, MN. Commercial supplier. Wild mushroom broker.
- Modern Mushroom Farms
Suppliers of “whites” (Agaricus bisporus) in every shape and form (Pennsylvania)
- Penn State Mushroom Spawn Laboratory
In the 1920s, Penn State became the first land-grant college to initiate a comprehensive mushroom research program. Led by internationally recognized scientists and supported by the mushroom industry, the program developed improved composts and production practices that were adopted by growers worldwide. It also helped Pennsylvania retain its leadership in U.S. mushroom production.
- Fresh Mushrooms
Penn State mushroom promotional site
- Agricultural Marketing Resource Center (Mushrooms) Iowa State University
Mycological Society Sites
Manuals and Articles on Mushroom Cultivation
- ATTRA Mushroom Cultivation and Marketing An excellent manual on growing and marketing mushrooms. Very thorough. Highly recommended. The manual is available as a downloadable pdf file. This site recently started charging $4.75 for a print version and $1.99 for digital.
- “Introduction to Shiitake: The “Forest” Mushroom. Kentucky Shiitake Production Workbook.” (pdf). Hill, Deborah B. Univ. of Kentucky Extension. Excellent Article on growing shiitake on logs and marketing.
- Resources for Shiitake Growers
The manual is available as a downloadable pdf file from University of Kentucky Extension.
- Shiitake Mushroom Production on Logs
Excellent 30 page manual on Shiitake log cultivation from Alabama A&M Extension. Covers all aspects from inoculation to marketing.
- Mushroom Cultivation for People with Disabilities – A Training Manual An entire manual available in html or pdf formats. A project sponsored by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Cultivation of Oyster Mushrooms
An excellent well-illustrated manual (12 pages) from Penn State.
- Cultivation of Shiitake Mushrooms on Natural and Synthetic Logsf
Another excellent manual from Penn State.
- “Shiitake and Oyster Mushrooms.” Univ. of Kentucky Extension. (pdf)
- Cultivating mushrooms in natural logs Article from The Mushroom People
- Countryside Magazine Article; Joe Krawczyk interview; Shitake log cultivation.
- Growing Shiitake Mushrooms in an Agroforestry Practice: University of Missouri Center for Agroforestry. Excellent booklet on Shiitake log cultivation (pdf)
- Growing Mushrooms with Hydrogen Peroxide Manuals available by R.R. Wayne, Ph.D., “The Peroxide Man” A method for Growing Mushrooms with Hydrogen Peroxide, is described in a manual by R.R. Wayne. Answers to frequently asked questions, ordering information for literature and mushroom growing kits, and some ideas for science fair projects on mushrooms are provided.
Other Mushroom Links
- Radical Mycology Radical Mycology is a grassroots organization dedicated to sharing open-source, accessible information on the easiest and most effective means for working with mushrooms and other fungi to increase personal, societal, and ecological resilience.
- Fungi for the People, a group of passionate mushroom cultivators working toward environmental and social justice and empowerment. Our mission is to bring the skills of mushroom cultivation and use to a wide audience with the intent to help build resilient and ecologically enhanced relationships.
- www.fungifun.org Forum on mushroom cultivation
- The Shroomery Magic mushroom emphasis, but good info on general mushroom cultivation. Cultivation forum
- Bio-Organics Supply Center Mycorrhizal innoculants and organic gardening supplies (US).
- Mushroom Production Statistics From USDA. Detailed numbers on mushroom production. Covers decades going back to the 1960’s.
- Mushroom Marketing Presentation From the Mushroom Council. (pdf of a PowerPoint )
- Eben Bayer: Are mushrooms the new plastic?
An interesting TED talk. Product designer Eben Bayer reveals his recipe for a new, fungus-based packaging material that protects fragile stuff like furniture, plasma screens — and the environment.