Join the North American Mycological Association
Faculty participants at NAMA 2012, Scotts Valley, California
The North American Mycological Association (NAMA) is a non-profit organization of professional and amateur mycologists with over 90 affiliated mycological societies in the United States and Canada. See details below for membership information, how to join through an affiliated club, etc.
- NAMA is committed and dedicated to the promotion of scientific and educational activities related to fungi.
- NAMA supports the protection of natural areas and their biological integrity.
- NAMA advocates the sustainable use of mushrooms as a resource and endorse the responsible mushroom collecting that does not harm the fungi or their habitats.
NAMA Membership Plans
- $25 Individual/Family – Member of Affiliated Club (for members of local clubs that are affiliated with NAMA)
- $30 Individual/Family – Unaffiliated (for people with no current membership with a NAMA-affiliated Club)
- $15 Student Membership
- $60 Sustaining Membership
- $500 Life Membership
Terms of membership: All memberships except for student memberships cover up to two adults (age 18 or over), living at the same address. New memberships except for Life memberships are for one calendar year and renew annually. Membership dues will not be pro-rated for members joining late in the year; however memberships will be extended through the following year for any member who joins on or after November 1. All dues must be paid in US Currency.
Joining NAMA as a member of an Affiliated Club
- An affiliated club may provide its members the option to join NAMA at the discounted annual rate. Those choosing to join NAMA through an affiliated club should contact that club directly for details.
- When you join NAMA online, please select the Individual/Family – Member of Affiliated Club plan and then select your local club’s name from the Clubs menu on the registration form. If you join by mail, please fill in the affiliated club name in the provided space on the paper application to receive the discounted rate.
Become a NAMA-Affiliated Club
Affiliated club dues are a $35-per-year flat rate. Please contact Chief Operating Officer Bruch Reed at COO@namyco.org if you are interested in becoming a NAMA affiliated club.
Why you should join NAMA
- Increase your knowledge of mushrooms and other fungi.
- Keep informed about activities in the field of mycology.
- Be in contact with people who have a similar interest in mycology, whether it is taxonomy, ecology, toxicity, medicinal, cultivation, visual arts, culinary arts/mycophagy, or the many other practical uses of fungi.
What NAMA Does
Regional forays — Sponsors intimate gatherings limited to 40 NAMA members where learning and social time are encouraged.
Newsletter — Publishes The Mycophile, which gives mycological news and reports, notice of events of interest to members, reviews of recent books, and poison information.
Journal — Publishes McIlvainea, a peer reviewed journal, with scientific papers on all aspects of fungi, toxicology reports, and topics of general interest – with articles by leading professional and amateur mycologists.
Photo Contest — Conducts an annual photo contest and publishes the results.
Educational Programs — Provides teaching kits and activities for K-12 grade levels and professionally produced CDs for club use.
Scholarship — NAMA funds an annual fellowship with the Mycological Society of America to promising graduate students in mycology.
Speakers Bureau — Maintains a list of over 50 speakers who are available to give programs for affiliated clubs.
Toxicology — Provides expertise in mushroom poisoning information on the web and through a group of identifiers for doctors and veterinarians.
Directories — Publishes an annual directory of members and mushroom clubs.
Discussion groups — One for members and one for those interested in mushroom cultivation.