Announcing the 2022 Visual Arts Contest
Drawing and Painting -Traditional
2D Mixed Media - Traditional
3D - Sculpture
3D - Sewing and Fiber Arts
After the astounding success of last year's inaugural visual arts contest, we've decided to continue the tradition for 2022! We are keeping the rules, categories and prizes the same but this year we are adding a theme. To coincide with the State Mushroom Initiative, we have chosen 'State Mushrooms' as this year's theme! Currently only three states have official mushrooms, (and only one state has an official lichen) but several more are in the works. Most states are a completely blank slate. We're asking you to think about what fungus you believe best represents your favorite state, and use that as the spirit of your art piece. Consider also Canadian states, Mexican states and U.S. Territories - We are the 'North American' Mycological Association after all. Be creative in how you choose to interpret this theme, we can't wait to see what you come up with!
All forms of art are accepted; when submitting, please choose the category into which you feel your work best fits. See Category Guidelines below.
- Participant must be a resident of North America. Membership in NAMA is not required.
- Each participant may enter up to 6 pieces total in the contest, with no more than 3 entries for any one category.
- No "adult" content; entries must be "family friendly".
- Art must visually depict fungi somewhere in the piece and/or use fungi as an ingredient (for example, dyed or painted with pigments made from mushrooms, dried mushrooms in mixed media, etc.).
- By entering, entrant agrees to allow NAMA the use of submission images in our newsletter, social media, and printed promotional materials (please include your @name if you would like to be tagged on Instagram).
- First Place winner in each category will receive a one-year membership to NAMA.
- Honorable-Mentions may be presented for entries found to be of particular interest but that do not place.
- Winners will be announced and notable entries displayed in a slideshow presentation at NAMA's Annual Continental Foray, this year to be held in the Missouri Ozarks, September 29 - October 2, 2022.
- Submit one (1) photo per entry (3D categories may submit up to 3 photos per entry) preferably in .jpg format and in a high enough resolution that it can be projected on a screen without pixelation.
- File name must be labeled with identifying info such as entrant's name and category (for example: JonSmith.Sculpture.jpg).
- Email your files and any questions to NAMA Visual Arts Committee: NAMAvisualarts@gmail.com.
- Include "NAMA Visual Arts Contest" in the subject line and any other relevant info in the body of the email.
- Entries must be received by August 15, 2022. Voting will be conducted by an impartial jury of professional artists selected by NAMA's Visual Arts Committee.
- Photography: Scientific and Pictorial photographs. Include species name. Entries may not contain text, stickers/clipart, other design elements etc. (please enter those under the category Digital Art).
- Digital Art: Includes photo manipulation, digital illustration, digital collage. May include some animated elements (for example, a GIF).
- Drawing and Painting: Traditional pencil/charcoal drawings, ink, markers, watercolor, gouache, acrylic, oil, etc.
- 2D Mixed Media: Traditional artwork in which more than one medium or material has been employed. This category includes collage, assemblage, etc. Art can have some dimensionality, but is viewed primarily as 2D.
- 3D - Sculpture: Includes pottery, sculpture, jewelry, miniatures, 3D mixed media and any other dimensional crafts that do not fall under the category 'Sewing and Fiber Arts'.
- 3D - Sewing and Fiber Arts: Knitting, crocheting, felting, etc. Also includes all sewing, quilting and most wearable art (mixed media in which fiber and/or fabric are the primary component should be entered here).
The Visual Arts Committee may, at their discretion, change the category of an entry or reject an entry that does not fit the spirit of the contest.